Aug
21
2012

PACE Talks Obama Energy Record on MN Public Radio

How is the president doing on energy issues? That was the topic of conversation this past Thursday, August 16th, on Minnesota Public Radio’s The Daily Circuit, which featured PACE Executive Director and EnergyBiz Insider Editor-in-Chief Ken Silverstein.

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

The segment, called ‘A Look At Obama’s Energy Record,’ is the first of a two-part series by Minnesota Public Radio that examines the energy positions of major presidential candidates. A look at Mitt Romney’s stance on energy issues is scheduled for this week.

“This is really a discussion about what we want the future of energy in the United States to be. I think some of the criticism of the president right now is that we are focusing on energy sources that probably are not going to constitute a great deal of our energy in the future,” Brown told The Daily Circuit host Kerri Miller. “You know, if you look right now, about 90% of our energy really comes from coal, natural gas, and nuclear power. Unfortunately, we are focusing on the other 10%.”

PACE, among others, has been critical of the administration’s expenditures on renewable power subsidies. One report from April provided data that the president’s performance on green jobs had fallen far short of expectations and statements made during the campaign. In one case, a solar power project in Nevada with one million solar panels employed just ten people.

“Back in 2008, the president campaigned on creating five million renewable power jobs within five years. The White House estimate now is about 200,000,” Brown told Miller. “Yes, there are jobs, but we’ve spent a lot of money for those jobs.”